Friday, December 12, 2008

How are you Christmas?

Inside a snowflake, like the one on your sleeve, 
there happened a story, you must see to believe.
Way up in the mountains, in the high rage of Pontoos, 
Lay the small town of Whoville-- The home of the Whos! 
Ask any Who and they'll have this to say:
There is no place like Whoville around Christmas Day.
Every window was flocked, every lamp post was dressed
and the Whoville Band marched in their Christmas-y best.
Arbor Day was fine and Easter was pleasant,
and every Saint Fizzin's Day they are a Fizz pheasant;
But every Who knew, from their 12 toes to their snout, 
They loved Christmas the most, without a single Who doubt.

** ANOTHER MINUTE CLOSER TO CHRISTMAS **

M ost years, it is easy to say that I could fit right in with the small town of Whoville -- well, minus the 12 toes and snout part anyway. 

Christmas cards addressed and mailed out on Black Friday.  Walking around singing and/or humming cheery Christmas music. 
Major shopping done by the end of November and wrapped throughout December.  Leaving only the tree to be dressed, the lawn to be decorated and more lights than who-manly needed, to be strung... 

Each year I add more lights and/or more decorations.  
This year, I purchased 2 white lighted trees, a 'fireplace' DVD and a light show thingie that will make the lights dance to the Christmas Music.

Oh well, at least I am not stealing the light bulbs out of the refrigerator ... yet.

Then of course, there is the baking...
Now if you listen to Mr. Doodle, he will claim that the only time of year I actually 'cook' is the holidays... and that is "only baking"...

But truth-be-told, it's just his favorite part of the holidays and he looks forward to all the sweet goodness that flows from my oven (yes, all made from scratch, well some years I do cheat on the Sugar Cookies and purchase Pilsbury.... but no one really eats them, they are just for the kids)  


It is the one time of year that I don't monitor his 'sweets' or give him the 'look' for over-indulging. 
It also doesn't hurt his 'status at work', that I am one of the only wives who sends in baked goods for the boys.  *grin*

Leading up to the days before Christmas, there is usually some Christmas movie or another in the DVD player or on the television.  

Last night, as if you couldn't gather from my intro, 
How the Grinch Stole Christmas was on.. LOL
(It's one of the only movies I can stand with the over-actor Jim Carey -- because Suess is so 'over-the-top-odd' with his characters.)

Christmas Eve is when the girls take control of my kitchen and bake their Sugar Cookies for Saint Nic... well, they need to be soft and warm for him..
... and while other 'good little children' are leaving a glass of cold milk or even a mug of hot chocolate; we give Santa a big ole piping hot cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee.  
After all, he is pullin' an all-nighter with no one to keep him company but 8 tiny reindeer.

Before bed, the kids and I curl up in the 'big chair' or on the love-seat and read Twas the Night Before Christmas.

and never fail, each Christmas of their 7 and 8 years on this planet so far...
Santa Claus leaves plenty of presents under the tree and one small package at the foot of their bed. 

2 years ago, he even accidentally left one of his jingle bells...
must have fallen off his toy bag, or perhaps off his suit,  
and it began a *new* Christmas Tradition...

You see, right before bedtime, we each take turns shaking the bell - as long as it jingles, Santa will come and answer our wish list...
but if ever it doesn't jingle, *sigh* that means either we've lost the magic of Christmas (and no longer believe) or we've been so bad that Santa is going to skip us.

I'll let you know what happens this year.. *grin*

Well, those are some of my Family Christmas Traditions...
I would love to hear some of yours.
Page Updated on: 22 October 2020


✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦⋆✦

(¯`·._(_.·´¯`·._.»  Copyright Notice  «._.·´¯`·._)_.·´¯)

Should you wish to share this Information or FiberDoodlesbyK4TT Patterns, please share using an Official FiberDoodlesbyK4TT authorized page 
.
✦⋆✦  RAVERLY  ✦⋆✦  BLOG  ✦⋆✦  ETSY  ✦⋆✦

Permission has NOT be granted to any 3rd Party to re-print, re-post or translate any FiberDoodlesbyK4TT products.

By utilizing any product from FiberDoodlesbyK4TT, whether by clicking over the internet, telephone, facsimile or otherwise, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of the FiberDoodlesbyK4TT End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) or qualification.
All patterns are sold in good faith. Every effort has been made to ensure that all instructions are accurate and complete. FiberDoodlesbyK4TT cannot, however, be responsible for human error or variations in individual work.


All patterns released from FiberDoodlesbyK4TT are protected under Federal copyright laws. Reproduction/distribution, in part or in whole, is strictly prohibited unless specifically authorized. This includes, but is not limited to, any form of reproduction or distribution on or through the Internet, including posting, scanning, "Crochet-A-Longs" and/or eMail transmission. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, most of our traditions have died out over the past few years and I think I did lose the magic of Christmas...but I'm trying to find it again.

So this year:

We have a tree, after three years of none. Never mind that it's a prelit and over 50% of the lights don;'t work...occaisionally they come back. And that half of the bottom row of branches are missing, the darned thing was free, LOL, so truly I can't complain.

I have decorated, although I can't do outside because there is no where to plug anything. And I can't find one of those big plastic lights to put at our patio door. *sighs*

There will be chocolate chip cookies about.

After a few years of little to no presents, there are 8 presents under the tree. And intend to Christmas shop on Christmas Eve. I'm on blood pressure meds now, how bad can it be? And we have stockings, me, Dad and Punkin Pie.

There will only be half the dinner though, for Dad said "No big dinner." It is only the two of us, so I guess he's got a point.

I will be reinstituting my Christmas movie tradition...The Santa Clause trilogy, The Night They Saved Christmas, and A Christmas Carol. I even bought music this year...Rick Springfield has a Christmas CD. *sighs*

Anonymous said...

I guess my family traditions have died out too. My children are much older now and they don't have that glitter in there eyes like they used to when knowing Santa would arrive soon. When you have smaller children there is so much joy in Christmas. I'm like Muffin, no outside plugs, as I so wanted to decorate my yard!!! But the inside looks like Christmas with the tree all decorated, and one tradition that my daughter will follow that my mom always did, she will make the Christmas cookies this year!!! Growing up as a child I spent hours in the kitchen with my mom doing cookies, cakes and pies, but those were simpler times when these goodies were given as gifts to friends and neighbors!!! And yes we will have the nice big dinner too, and my favorite cheesecake made from scratch!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you know I have the Christmas spirit as I my house is all deck out which I put the pictures on my site. I still need to add the picture of the front of my house maybe tonight. We start Christmas here right after Halloween. We all have the spirit here as I tell my family your young at heart and we all have the twinkle in are eyes! My Mom who is watches over my is just glowing over the decorations as she was the one who got me hooked and then my Uncle Rich who is also watching over my loved Christmas and even at seventy he had a big twinkle in his eye as he said he never grow up. So to not growing up and having the twinkle in your eye, Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I don't do Christmas. Won't go into any long list of reasons for that, but hubby is definately a Christmister. He starts with the carols in june or july, wants the tree up after thanksgiving dinner, wants the tree up all year actually (decorated for different holidays of course... and of course I said HELL NO). The boys got an advent calander from my mom that they do everyday starting dec 1st. It ends up being the nativity and they put up animals, shepherds, wise men, camels and such. The 5 days before Xmas are angels and a dove until baby Jesus on the 25th.
They are not allowed to open a single gift until we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Every year hubby hides a gift in the tree for them and every year we find one of 'em when we're... I mean I am taking the tree down.
Other than that, I don't pay much attention to what my hubby is doing. LOL

Anonymous said...

Christmas has also changed here now that my 3 children are grown. Things like putting up the tree together & wearing Christmas pajamas on Christmas eve. We used to have Christmas dinner at my parents but ever since my Dad passed away my Mom doesn't cook or bake anymore. Now dinners alternate between me, my daughter, my oldest son & my sister in laws house. My youngest son is living in Thailand & wasn't home last Christmas & won't be this year either. As of last year I have a beautiful granddaughter to spoil.

Some things stay the same like I'm always way behind because I always think I have more time than there really is. I'll be doing some last minute shopping on Christmas eve as usual. I still can't bake decent cookies because they always come out like rocks so I don't bake. And I still hate to cook.

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for leaving your thoughts on Fiber Doodles!